Ogle Tales and Trails   Page 02

Home    Back
-- Second Battle of St. Albans: Feb 17, 1461  - 2/17/2015
-- First Battle of St. Albans - May 22, 1455 in the War of the Roses -
-- Michaela (Ogle) Atkin - Daughter of Edward G and Renate E Ogle of Orange Park, Florida
-- Ann Ogle Tayloe
-- Fossett search
-- Beautification Of Grounds Around The Grave Of Thomas Ogle

 2nd Battle of St. Albans: Lancastrians Defeat Yorkists.

February 17th, 2015 by Siggurdsson

Today in Military History: February 17, 1461

2nd Battle of St Albans,
 mediaeval wood cut, author unknown
 Image courtesy of http://www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/albans2.htm

 (Unless otherwise indicated, all illustrations in this article are courtesy of Wikipedia)

Today's tale of battle concerns a fight during the War of the Roses, a fifteenth century civil war in Great Britain. Two branches of the Royal House of Plantagenet fought with each other for the right to rule England; they were the Houses of Lancaster and York.

Background to the War

British monarch Henry VI was crowned in September of 1422. The sudden death of his father Henry V (of the battle of Agincourt "band of brothers" fame) at the age of 35 was catastrophic, as England had the upper hand in the Hundred Years' War with France. Henry VI, who headed the House of Lancaster, was only nine months old at his coronation, so the country was ruled by a council of regents until Henry turned 16.

Portrait of Henry VI
(reigned 1422-1461 & 1470-71),
artist unknown;
Currently in National Portrait Gallery, London UK


During the majority of Henry's reign, there were multiple challenges as to who was the better qualified person to occupy England's throne. This was brought into sharper focus in 1453, when Henry suffered some form of mental breakdown. A council of regency was formed, headed by Richard the Duke of York and Henry's primary opponent in the succession. Though Henry recovered his sanity in late 1454, he suffered a number of bouts of mental illness over the next 17 years.

In addition, other factors forming a political climate ripe for civil war included: growing civil discontent; the abundance of feuding nobles with private armies; and corruption in Henry VI's court. With the king so easily manipulated, power rested with those closest to him at court, in other words the Lancastrian faction. Richard and the Yorkist faction, who tended to be physically placed further away from the seat of power, found their power slowly being stripped away. Royal power and finances also started to slip, as Henry was persuaded to grant many royal lands and estates to the Lancastrians, thereby losing their revenue.

When Henry recovered, he once again fell under the influence of those closest to him at court. Directed by Henry's queen, the powerful and aggressive Margaret of Anjou, who emerged as the de facto leader of the Lancastrians, Richard was forced out of court. Margaret built up an alliance against Richard and conspired with other nobles to reduce his influence. An increasingly thwarted Richard (who feared arrest for treason) finally resorted to armed hostilities in 1455, when forces of Lancaster and York clashed at the First Battle of St. Albans.

Background of the Battle

A dynastic compromise was struck in October 1460, when the Act of Accord was promulgated. The document made the Duke of York King Henry's successor to the throne, disinheriting Henry's six-year-old son Edward. Henry's queen Margaret refused to abide by the Act's terms, fleeing first to north Wales, parts of which were still in Lancastrian hands. They later travelled by sea to Scotland to negotiate for Scottish assistance. The Queen Consort to James II of Scotland agreed to give Margaret an army on condition that she cede the town of Berwick to Scotland and Mary's daughter be betrothed to Prince Edward. Margaret agreed, although she had no funds to pay her army and could only promise booty from the riches of southern England, as long as no looting took place north of the Trent River.

Richard Duke of York and his brother-in-law, the Earl of Salisbury (father of the Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, nicknamed "The Kingmaker"), led an army to the north late in 1460 to counter the Lancastrian threats, but they drastically underestimated the Lancastrian forces. On December 30, 1460, at the battle of Wakefield, the Yorkist army was destroyed and York, Salisbury and York's second son, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, were killed in the fighting or were executed after the battle.

The victorious Lancastrian army began advancing south towards London. It was led by comparatively young nobles, whose fathers had been killed by York and Warwick at the First Battle of St Albans (in 1455). The army contained a substantial contingent from the West Country, but many of its men were from the Scottish Borders or Scotland, who subsisted largely on plunder in their march south.

  Edward, Earl of March, House of York (later King Edward IV);  Artist unknown;
 currently in National Portrait Gallery, London UK
 The death of Richard of York left his eighteen-year old son Edward, Earl of March, as the Yorkist claimant for the throne. [Edward is
 described  as "handsome and affable…" and as being a soaring 6 feet, 4 inches tall.]  He led one Yorkist army in the Welsh Marches,
 while Warwick led another in London and the south east.  Naturally, they intended to combine their forces to face Margaret's army, but
 Edward was delayed by the need to confront another Lancastrian army from Wales led by Jasper Tudor. On February 2, 1461 Edward
 defeated Tudor's army at the battle of Mortimer's Cross.

Lancastrian Army

This force, under the command of Queen Margaret, was approaching London after defeating the Duke of York and his army at Wakefield, a month-and-a-half previously. The Lancastrians numbered somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 men altogether. It consisted mainly of mounted men-at-arms, longbowmen, spearmen and billmen [see below],with some knights, likely nobles and major landholders. They were mainly members of the retinues of the Earl of Northumberland, the Baron de Clifford, and Henry Beaufort the Duke of Somerset, who all had considerable lands and support in the north of England. Another portion of the army came from the West Country (southwestern England). There were also reduced numbers of Scots and Scottish Borderer horsemen. These last were men who waged a hot-and-cold war of raids and counter-raids along the ill-defined border area of England and Scotland. They lived primarily from looting and plunder. Many had deserted Margaret's army, taking their loot with them after word was received of the Yorkist victory at Mortimer's Cross.

Yorkist Army

This force was under the command of the Duke of Warwick the "Kingmaker." It totalled somewhere around 9000-10,000 men. Its composition was similar to that of the Lancastrians, with a couple of exceptions: his army likely did not have large numbers of Scots or Scottish Borderers; and, as Warwick's army was marching from London, he had access to the royal arsenal, as numbers of artillery pieces were reported to be in his train. In addition, we know that the Yorkist army had fairly substantial numbers of handgunners. There were also about 500 paid Burgundian mercenaries in this army.

Prelude to the Battle

Warwick with the captive King Henry in his train (he had been taken prisoner at Northampton on July 10, 1460), meanwhile moved to block Margaret's army's route to London. He took up position north of St. Albans (site of the opening battle of the Wars of the Roses) astride one of the main roads from the north, where he set up several fixed defences, including cannon and obstacles such as fields of caltrops and pavises studded with spikes. Part of his defences used an ancient earthwork known as the Beech Bottom Dyke. Warwick's forces were divided into three "battles" (or wings), as was customary at the time. He himself led the Main Battle in the centre; the Duke of Norfolk led the Forward Battle on the right; and Warwick's brother John Neville commanded the Rear Battle on the left. Warwick expected the Queen's army to attack them across Bernards (or Barnet) Heath, a fairly flat, open area to the northeast of the town. [see map below] Although strong, Warwick's lines faced north and west only. However, he did think somewhat out-of-the box, and stationed several hundred longbowmen scattered throughout the town, a rather substandard attempt at a guard for his flank.

Margaret knew of Warwick's dispositions, probably through Sir Henry Lovelace, the steward of Warwick's own household. Lovelace had been captured by the Lancastrians at Wakefield but had been spared from execution and released, and he believed he had been offered the vacant Earldom of Kent as reward for betraying Warwick. Late on February 16, Margaret's army swerved sharply west and captured the town of Dunstable in Bedfordshire, 30 miles north of London and about 13 miles northwest of St. Albans. About 200 local people under the town butcher tried to resist them, but were easily dispersed. Warwick's "scourers" (scouts, patrols and foraging parties) failed to detect this move.

2nd Battle of St. Albans

Margaret's army left Dunstable during the night of February 16-17, arriving at St. Albans near dawn. The Lancastrians assaulted the town along the main road from the northwest (the old Roman road known as Watling Street). They were surprised when the hidden enemy archers began shooting at them from house windows and the Town Clock Tower. Withdrawing across the Ver River, Margaret's commanders searched for another route to attack Warwick's positions. After a short time, attacks were launched along Folly Lane and Catherine Street. [See above; the second attacks are in solid black lines] The Yorkist bowmen were now outflanked and cut off from their comrades to the northeast of town. The Lancastrians began rooting out the pesky missile troops in deadly hand-to-hand fighting, which lasted for several hours. [It seems that all this activity mostly escaped the attention of Warwick's men northeast of town.]

"Map for the Second Battle of St. Albans"
 by James Henry Ramsay (1892);
From Lancaster and York: A Century of English History (1399-1485), Volume 2


By noontime – but no later than mid-afternoon – the Lancastrians advanced along St. Peter Street to attack the flank and rear of Warwick's left division. Because this division was anchored by static defenses, Warwick had a difficult time realigning his forces to face the new threat. In addition, it was apparently a wet, perhaps drizzle-filled day; this was enough to dampen the Yorkist gunpowder, causing innumerable misfires, and shutting down Warwick's primary offensive punch. [Warwick later claimed that the Kentish contingent in the Yorkist army under Lovelace defected at this point, causing further confusion in the Yorkist ranks, although later historians suggest that Lovelace's role as a scapegoat was created by Warwick as a face-saving excuse to mask his own total mismanagement of the battle.]

Despite the Yorkists being outnumbered and out of position, they held their own against the Lancastrian force in bloody hand-to-hand fighting. By late afternoon, as dusk was settling in (sunset at this time of year was about 5:19 p.m.), Warwick's army finally lost heart and began a retreat westward into Oxfordshire, seeking to join up with the remains of the Yorkist army under Edward. With this act, the royal capital of London was left wide open to the victorious Lancastrians.


Yorkist casualties are estimated at about 5000 killed, wounded or captured. The Lancastrians suffered perhaps 2000 casualties.

Despite the Lancastrian victory, the army did not immediately advance toward London. Margaret's army spent several days pillaging the neighborhood (a reputation it had gained over the past several months). The people of London let it be known the Lancastrians would be denied entrance to the city. As a result, Margaret withdrew back to Dunstable. Because of the victorious army's failure to march on London, the remaining Scots and Scots Borderers left the Lancastrian force and headed back north.

Footnote #1: As the Yorkists retreated, they left behind the bemused King Henry, who is supposed to have spent the battle sitting under a tree, singing. Two knights had sworn to let him come to no harm, and remained with him throughout. The next morning Margaret asked her son, the seven-year-old Edward of Westminster, how, not whether, the two knights were to die. Edward, thus prompted, sent them to be beheaded.

Footnote #2: Another result of the Lancastrian failure to advance and occupy London was that Edward the Earl of March and Warwick and their forces soon afterwards marched on Longdon, Entering the city on February 26. Edward was proclaimed king in March, ruling until he was deposed by the Lancastrians in October of 1470. He would recover the throne in 1471, reigning until his death in April of 1483, three weeks shy of his 41st birthday.

Footnote #3: This fight took place on Shrove Tuesday (otherwise known to the French as "Fat Tuesday," Mardi Gras).

Footnote #4: The Wars of the Roses would continue for another 26 years, until the final victory of the Tudor Dynasty at the battle of Stoke Field on June 16, 1487.


Credit: American Legion, Burn Pit series, Mar 2015

I do not know if the Ogle family was engaged in the second battle,

 During the war of the Roses, at the first battle of St. Albans on May 22, 1455, an extract:

"For an hour the royalist defense held firm and the attack faltered. At this critical moment the earl of Warwick showed why it was he was to become known as the king maker.   Seeing that the barricades could not be take by storm, he decided to go around them...  The ploy worked, Sir Robert Ogle, in command of 600 men from the Scottish marches, took the house between two inns, the sign of the cross keys, and the chequers, and broke into the market place. The blare of trumpets and the ringing war cry of A Warwick! A Warwick! announced the success of this flanking manoeuvre. The royalist in the center sounded the alarm and flew to arms, but again they were too late. The decisive breach had been made."

 "At first the king's household put up a brave resistance, but they were in no condition to withstand the hail of arrows now descending upon them."...  "After half an hour or so they broke and scattered."...  "The King of England, wounded in the neck, sheltered in a tanner's cottage, while his standard lay abandoned in the street." ...  "As soon as it was clear that the field of battle was his, York ordered the kings removal to more dignified quarters in the abbey."...  "Less than a hundred men had been killed, mostly Lancastrians...  but the deaths of Somerset, Northumberland, and Clifford suggest that York and the Nevilles had intended ... to kill their enemies."... "The problem for the Yorkists was, they still claimed to be loyal to the king... but could not free themselves from their enemies without killing them."

This data was extracted from the book "The War of the Roses" by John Gillingham. A very good read.

Great Things Happen When Air Force APCs Put Their Heads Together!

On April 29, 2009, Mike Bilbrey, the Air Force Travel Card Component Program Manager, gathered his team and over 40 Air Force HL3 APCs for an educational conference held over two and a half days at the new Citi Norfolk, Virginia, call center.

Mike and his team - including Charles Maddox, GTC Program Manager, Individually Billed Accounts; Greg Anthony, GTC Program Manager, Centrally Billed Accounts; and Air Force Banking Liaison Glenn Peters - led the conference, while APCs shared their ideas and opinions about the strategic direction of the Government Travel Card (GTC) program, GTC guidelines, and putting together an APC training package.

Topics discussed included new generation programs and how to best take care of cardholders who are deploying, undergoing a Permanent Change of Station or requiring mission critical status.

The group also reviewed IBA and CBA policies, and viewed a demonstration of the most frequently run reports for both programs. They also toured the new facility and met many of the call center representatives.  Guest speakers at the conference included Alec Cloyd with the Defense Travel Management Office, and Steve Johnson with VISA.

Mike Bilbrey and his team look forward to briefing and updating all of the Air Force APCs at the 11th Annual GSA Conference in Phoenix.

Home    Top

Ann Ogle Tayloe 1772 - 1855

In the summer of 1855 Ann Ogle Tayloe died at the advanced age of eighty-three, at the Octagon, in Washington City, where she had continued to reside after the death of Colonel Tayloe, in 1828. Mrs. Tayloe was the daughter of the last Governor Ogle, of Maryland, and spent the earlier days of her life in the refined and brilliant society of Annapolis. When a young lady she visited the beautiful Nelly Custis at Mount Vernon, while residing with General Washington and his wife, and preserved in after-life a vivid recollection of the household and mode of living which prevailed there. Mrs. Tayloe was the last survivor of the ladies of the old school in Washington, of that class which had been trained in the manners and modes of thought which prevailed before and during the American Revolution, in the circles of the colonial aristocracy.
Credits to "Our Neighbors on La Fayette Square - by Benjamine Ogle Tayloe - Washington 1872"

Home    Top

 Son hopes Fossett search will solve mystery of missing Dad

Sep 11, 2007  -  By ALICE WALLACE  -  Sun staff writer

More than 40 years have passed since Gainesville resident William Ogle last saw his father.

Ogle's father, Charles, a recreational pilot, set out from Oakland, Calif., to attend a business meeting in Reno, Nev., in his private Cessna 210 in August 1964 - and that was the last time anyone ever saw him.

William Ogle, says he hopes for answers to his dad's fate.

Searches for Charles Ogle, who was 41 when he disappeared over the Sierra Nevadas, produced no signs of the pilot.

"It's important to our family, since we have had to wonder and think about this for so long. We'd like to see some closure," said William Ogle, 47, who was only 4 when his father disappeared. Ogle moved to Gainesville two years ago and works as an assistant professor in the department of biomedical engineering at the University of Florida.

As dozens of search planes have scanned an area spanning 17,000 square miles in the effort to find Fossett, searchers have discovered the wreckage of at least eight other aircraft that might have crashed years or even decades ago, rekindling the family's hope that they might find out if "Chazzie" did indeed perish in a plane crash.

When William Ogle's aunt learned of the additional wrecks being discovered, she called her nephew and he, in turn, called the Civil Air Patrol Nevada Wing to see if it's possible one of the wrecks could be his father's.

But it could be some time before Ogle learns whether his father's plane is among those found.

Officials have told the Ogle family that although eight wrecked planes have been discovered, investigators will not focus on those crashes until the search for Fossett is over.

"I anticipate it's going to be a couple months, at least," Ogle said.

Officials told him that once the Fossett search ends, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board will be doing complete investigations into each of the other crashes.

"There'll be full-blown FAA investigations as if (the crashes) happened yesterday," he said.

Ogle said it wasn't until 1985 that his family even learned where Charles Ogle had been headed when he took off in 1964. Ogle said his parents were in the midst of a divorce during that time, and Charles' mistress was the last to see him before he left.

Decades later, William Ogle and his sister were contacted by their half-sister, who connected the Ogles with their father's mistress.

The woman told them that Charles Ogle, a successful businessman and developer in the San Francisco Bay area, had been headed to Reno for a business trip when he disappeared.

"We knew he took off in a plane, but he didn't file a flight plan, so we didn't know where he was going," Ogle said.

When Charles Ogle never returned from his trip, searchers simply combed a grid around the airport looking for wreckage since the pilot did not file a flight plan specifying which direction he was headed.

Ogle said his father's route would have been slightly farther north than the area where Fossett's plane is expected to be, but since searchers are hunting such a large area, it's possible that his father's plane could be within that area.

He also said officials with the Civil Air Patrol Nevada Wing have told him that one of the wrecked planes could be from a crash dating back to the 1960s.

Ogle said it has been an emotional week since finding out that his family might finally learn what happened to Charles Ogle. "I was full of hope last week, but now I'm starting to worry they won't find his plane," Ogle said.
Alice Wallace can be reached at 352-338-3109 or alice.wallace@gvillesun.com.   Copyright © The Gainesville Sun
Maj. Cynthia Ryan of the Civil Air Patrol said investigating the old wrecks will have to wait until the search for Fossett is done. Then, she said, "we can pull resources and go into some of these rather treacherous areas and really comb through that wreckage, find some serial numbers, run it through manufacturers and find out who the buyer was."

 --  Reprinted here with permission of The Gainesville Sun.

Young Charles Charles Ogle - Navy Charles Ogle Charles and William

 Home     Top

 Beautification Of Grounds Around The Grave Of Thomas Ogle
The 227-year-old gravesite of Thomas Ogle (1705-1771), founder of Ogletown, Delaware, with its distinctive capstone containing Thomas’ personal epitaph carved in old-font letters, was a pitiful, deteriorating sight in early 1998.  The once elegant grave and capstone of the grandson of the immigrant John Ogle (1664/65-1684) had badly endured the ravages of time and the elements. Too many debilitating expansions and contractions during too many freezing winters and hot summers had cracked the tough capstone, forcing removal and storage of most of the broken pieces. Too many years of acid rain, corrosive carbon monoxide, and old-timer’s disease had eroded and practically destroyed this carefully selected, once lovely, final resting site of an important early Ogle Colonialist.
Uncut grass, ubiquitous weeds, poison ivy, and matted leaves collected about the crumbling foundation. Assorted debris blown by ill winds from the adjacent busy intersection further degraded the sanctity of this pastoral retreat so carefully and thoughtfully selected by Thomas.

Many Delaware historians, researchers, citizens, and even O/OFA members, long aware of pioneer Thomas Ogle and the unsightly condition of his grave, had become complacent. The gravesite might well have continued in a state of disrepair and disregard had not the Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) decided in 1998 to correct the deteriorating situation.

Before proceeding with this story of the restoration and beautification of his gravesite, let us first take a closer look at Thomas Ogle, the man.

Thomas Ogle (1705-1771)

Thomas Ogle (b. 1705 in Del., d. 23 Dec. 1771 in New Castle Co., Del., possibly married three times and with nine known children), was the son of Thomas Ogle (b. 1666/72 in Del., d. between 30 July and 18 Sep. 1734 in New Castle Co., Del.) and Mary Crawford. He was the grandson of the immigrant John Ogle (b. 1648/49 – d.1684) and Elizabeth, whose maiden name has not been irrefutably identified.
Thomas (b. 1705) became a wealthy and influential businessman and planter in New Castle County. He owned three mills and a wharf at Christiana Bridge, hundreds of acres of agricultural and forested land in New Castle Co., and many additional investments.
Thomas built a stylish, two-story, brick house in 1739 at the northeast corner of a junction of three important roads: present day Del. 273, which extended from Christiana Bridge to Nottingham in Penn.; Del. 4 (Chestnut Hill Rd.) from Stanton through Newark (Del.) to the Elk River in Maryland; and Red Mill Road, which ran north from the intersection of 273 and 4 to Comer Ketch. All these roads were significant transportation arteries by 1750 and have remained important for 250 years. A fourth highway, Salem Church Rd., was constructed in 1827 in a southerly direction from the intersection.
Thomas Ogle’s various businesses, large land holdings, and community influence led to the sizable area around his home being named Ogle Town (later Ogletown) sometime before 1762. The stately house, which Thomas also operated as an inn, survived for 216 years. Thomas was buried near the historic house and a reasonable distance from the then narrow, dirt roads that formed the crossroads.

Delaware Department Of Transportation Restores Thomas Ogle Grave

In 1955, when the Delaware Department of Transportation widened the roads, the Thomas Ogle house got in the way of progress. The State purchased the land containing Thomas Ogle’s house and gravesite. Delaware donated the historic house to the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), which agreed to move it.

Unfortunately, the DAR’s plans were never carried out and the historic house was destroyed.

The original grave marker, a flat, stone slab inscribed with Thomas Ogle’s epitaph, had been placed over a slightly raised base. Some 200-plus years later, after various expansions of the roads, Thomas’ burial site was very close to the eastbound State Road (SR) 273 overpass, at the northwest intersection ramps of SR 273 and SR 4.

The capstone slab cracked badly through the years. Sixteen pieces (large and small) were removed in the late 1980s when the intersection was widened and greatly expanded. The broken sections, some with illegible or missing words, are being preserved at the University of Delaware’s Center for Archeological Research. During this period the gravesite became overgrown and unsightly.

Recognizing the need for a safer and smother highway mixing bowl, Delaware Department of Transportation built a new interchange around Del. 273 and Chestnut Hill Rd. New surfaces were aligned to avoid the frequent flooding of the underpass and to give Thomas’ grave more resting room. While building the new interchange The Delaware Department of Transportation fulfilled its historic and cultural responsibility to the gravesite. The new SR 273 construction avoided the grave area as the ramp connection and intersection were shifted away from the grave. Carefully and professionally, The Delaware Department of Transportation provided for the excellent restoration of Thomas Ogle’s burial plot, spending several thousand dollars in the process.

Using proven archeological techniques, The Delaware Department of Transportation expertly and respectfully confirmed that Thomas Ogle’s remains were still at the original location. Without disturbing the remains, The Delaware Department of Transportation prepared new concrete footings on which a new brick mausoleum/base was constructed to support the capstone.  The 4”, red brick wall is backed with 4”, solid blocks to establish an overall 8” masonry wall 6’ 6” long by 3’ 6” wide, by 20” high.
The Delaware Department of Transportation purchased a new, 600-pound, granite, replacement capstone, which, on August 12, 1998, was placed on top of the short mausoleum base and sealed. The inscription on the new capstone artfully matches the original design details, old-fashioned, engravement font, and wording (insofar as The Delaware Department of Transportation and the Center for Archeological Research were able to determine):

Here lies the Body of
Who departed this Life
The 23 of December 1771
Aged 66 Years
Glass is run my Work is done
Dead I lie under Ground
Entombed in Clay until the Day
I hear the Trumpet sound
At a cost of $445 (funds provided by Del. State Representative Richard DiLiberto), The Delaware Department of Transportation installed on the brick burial wall under the capstone, a 20" by 10" permanent, bronze plaque that reads:
Thomas Ogle II Gravesite

Originally a cross-roads, farming and gathering community,
Thomas Ogle II and Ogle family generations have lived in the
Area for over 250 years. This plaque commemorates Ogletown
Area and the Ogle family influence.

The Delaware Department of Transportation (logo)
Although The Delaware Department of Transportation did not install any parking spaces off the busy intersection, visitors can park nearby and walk a short distance to the gravesite that is easily visible from the traffic flow. Large, circular, colored, stepping-stones were evenly spaced from Ogletown Rd. to the gravesite for visitors to use during wet conditions.

A writer for the Wilmington News Journal in 1998 said it well, “Thomas Ogle’s grave is the last vestige of a town that was founded before the American Revolution and has been virtually under siege ever since.” Large office buildings, condos, apartments, sub-divisions, shopping centers, and highways and streets have long since replaced the pastoral setting of Thomas’ days.

Up to this point, restoration of the grave had been a coordinated effort among a few state agencies and facilities. The Delaware Department of Transportation had provided most of the funds for the project while then Senior Transportation Planner Michael C. Hahn provided the leadership and supervision.

The Ogle/Ogles Family Association became involved after learning that The Delaware Department of Transportation was short of funds and was seeking financial assistance to help beautify the grounds around the grave.

O/OFA Finances Beautification of Area Around Thomas Ogle’s Grave

The O/OFA leadership quickly grasped the opportunity and privilege and approved a grant dedicating $1,000 to landscape the immediate area around the grave and $500 for a commemorative bronze plaque. After all, Thomas Ogle was a notable, Ogle Colonial ancestor, the progenitor of thousands of Ogles in America, and only two generations removed from the immigrant John Ogle, who, very likely was the first Ogle to relocate to America from England.

Working closely with Jennifer Hannum, a talented The Delaware Department of Transportation Environmental Planner, O/OFA selected a landscape proposal from a firm in Smyrna, Del. On Nov. 5, 1999, the landscaper deposited eight yards of topsoil at the gravesite and planted Bradford Pear trees, assorted perennial flowers, Rhododendron bushes and other shrubbery and ground cover.

A December 1999 view of the landscaping at Thomas Ogle’s gravesite.
The bronze plaque purchased by the Ogle/Ogles Family Association
Was affixed to this side of the grave wall in January 2000. Someone had left a nice Christmas wreath and a small American flag. (photo by The Delaware Department of Transportation)

Also the landscaper installed a plastic liner for weed control, one ton of white marble chips, and steel edging to form an attractive, all-weather, sloping walkway around the gravesite. The plants, trees and walkway are complemented by two mature trees that have grown close enough to the grave through the years to serve as loyal sentinels providing shade and companionship for Thomas Ogle and any summer visitors to his gravesite.
Additionally, O/OFA purchased a bronze plaque 18” wide by 15” tall which was installed in Jan. 2000 on the brick wall of the mausoleum/base of the grave, opposite the side where the Delaware Department of Transportation plaque is installed. The wording on our plaque is:

The Ogle/Ogles Family Association, Inc.,
a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of the history and genealogy of
the Ogle and Ogles Families of North America, helped beautify this gravesite and honor the
memory of a Colonial ancestor,

Thomas Ogle
(b. 1705 – d. 1771)
Founder of Ogletown
By beautifying the area around Thomas’ grave and installing the commemorative, bronze plaque on the brick base of the grave, O/OFA has done a good thing! Our members can take justifiable pride in recognizing and honoring the memory of one of our earliest Ogle ancestors in the Colonies—one who made a difference during his lifetime.
Members are encouraged to visit Thomas Ogle’s gravesite in Ogletown if ever in the area. Enjoy the trees, bushes, flowers and atmosphere surrounding the site. Read the plaque and relate to the words. You helped make it all possible!

All volumes of The Ogle Genealogist can still be purchased from the association.

Printed here with Permissions: 
Text: by George W. Ogles, President, The Ogle/Ogles Family Association, Inc., 1999.  Photos: by James H. Donalson, Member OOFA, 1999.

Home    Top