Family of Edward G Ogle Sr and Renate Elisabeth Ogle Nee Fries

Edward and Renate Ogle;
Yvonne - Air Force veteran; Patricia- Director federal program; Edward Jr - Air Force veteran; Gregory Small Craft Pilot;
Jacqueline - Air Force veteran; Matthew - masters degree

  Ed's Family Pictures
Page 2  
Page 3  
  Ed's Army Pictures
Page 1 is 1st and 3rd assignments - Fuel Stop // Our Recovery Vehicle // River Crossing w/M59s //
Page 2 is 2nd assignment - Jumping the C-119 // Testing the XVIIA (Experimental Vehicle Infantry Individual Attack), A Troop, 3rd Recon, 8th Cav regiment
Page 3 is 4th and 5th assignments - With the 5th Bn 33rd Armor Ft. Knox and the 3rd Armored Cav, Kaiserlautern, Germany
Page 4 is an Example of Airborne equipment we wore
Page 5 is the weapons I have qualified to use.
Page 6 is the second award for Border Guard duties.
Page 7 is the only picture I have of Dad and I together after joining the Army.
  TOC to Our Numerous Travels

Home   -   Ahnentafel   -   Chart

8th Cav History

5th Bn 33rd Armor


3rd ACR History

6th Cav History

6th Cav Membership
From 1968
Joined the US Army:  May 1957 and retired effective 1 Mar 1979

Promotions: PFC - 1 Mar 1958, SP4 - 31 Oct 1958, SP5 - 11 Apr 1961, SSGT, SP6, SP7, SFC

Awards, Badges , Medals:

 Expert - Rifle M1,  Expert - M14,  Expert - SMG Cal 45,  Expert - Pistol Cal 45,  Sharpshooter M14,  Marksman 45 Pistol  //
Service Awards: 
OS bars (2)  //  Good Conduct Medal 5th award //
Parachutist Badge - Motor Vehicle Badge w/mechanics bar  //
  Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal (NDSM),   Vietnam Service Medal,  Republic of Vietnam cross of gallantry w/palm.


Graduate: Four months induction, basic infantry training, waiting assignment.
Graduate: Sixteen weeks at the Wheel and Track Vehicle Maintenance school, Ft. Knox, Ky.
Graduate: Four weeks at the Army Airborne School, Augsburg, Germany.
Graduate: Three weeks at the Tank turret maintenance school, Vilseck, Germany.
Training included repair of the electrical and hydraulic and targeting systems for main gun control
as well as servicing the 30 and 50 caliber Browning Machine Guns.
Graduate: Computer Programming School, Ft. Ben Harrison IN.

Proficient in conversational German and have more than twelve years in USAREUR (U.S. Army Europe).

Other Duties:

Command Maintenance Management Inspector V Corps in Germany,
Data Analyst for Personnel Systems in Ft. Meade MD,
Inspector for First Army Command Inspection Team, Ft Meade MD


1957:  Basic Training with 48th AAA Bn (Big Red One) Ft. Riley, Kansas
1957-1958 -16 weeks training as a Track and Wheel Mechanic at Ft. Knox, Ky; then on to Germany.

Feb 58 and left in Sep 62, four years six months with the 8th U.S. Cavalry, 3rd Reconnaissance Squadron, H&H Troop and A Troop (airborne) about two years in A Troop 3rd Recon.  A normal tour was 4 years max but many of us were extended 6 months because the East Germans (read Russians) decided to shut down ground access to Berlin again. This time the US said nope, it's not going to happen. I received the alert at about 0300 and by the time I arrived the 18th Infantry (also in Coleman Barracks, Sandhofen/Mannheim) was moving out the gate. I realized this was no drill because all their external mounted 50s (the M2s) were loaded with live ammo. The 18th went to Berlin thru a gauntlet of T35s or newer stuff, all along the way. I don't think many people in the states have a clue about this. This is also during JFK's time when American came really close to full scale war with the Soviet Union. Seems Russia would poke JFK in the eye and JFK would kick them in the balls. We have never been friends with Russia, we may never be, but we could always trust Russia to be an adversary in control of their stuff. Today, who knows?

Nine months with the 5th Battalion, 33rd Armored in support of the Army Armored School, Ft. Knox Ky.

Three years with the 3rd U.S. Cavalry, I and HQ Troop Germany, and CMMI Inspector attached to V Corp.  During this time we were armed with Battlefield Tactical Nuclear Weapons.  The maintenance environment became a nightmare, we had people from V Corp crawling up every orifice they could find.   Some of their demands were totally ridiculous.   For instance if a  vehicle which hauled the weapons seeped a drop of oil from any oil seal, any time it was checked, the seal had to be replaced.   On the trucks that hauled the weapons there could be no exhaust pipe leak, to the point we would mount the exhaust system, mark the connections, remove the pipes and weld them shut - normal clamping was not good enough.  While here we were on manuvers, a lot, and  when I got back from one I went to the appartment still wearing my field gear, I must have been a scruffy sight because my wife open the door and just stood looking at me, when I ask if I could come in her eyes light up, she did not recognize me - I was watching a WWII movie titled "FURY" and thought thats' what I must have looked like, in those days we still had some of the same equipment from korea, which was left over from WWII, but I did like most of the "C" rations.

One year six months with H&H Troop and E Troop, 2nd Sqdn, 6th ACR, Ft. G.G. Meade, MD, as Motor Sgt.  

This was another interesting assignment.  We were on the streets of DC twice during the black riots.
First time
we rendezvoused at the Old Soldiers Home, from that vantage point it looked as if all of DC was on fire - it was H Street only, but the last time I heard most of the shops that were burnt there have never reopened - They may have enjoyed the riot but they sure messed up the neighborhood.

Second time
we had the riot totally under control when the 82nd came in to relieve us - The news papers went wild about how the 82nd took control of the streets.  In fact by the time they got there they had nothing to do.  Our Squadron Commander wrote a good essay of what happened that was printed in the Cavalry news paper.  We never received any recognition from either of these duties. 

Something we did receive recognition for was security duty for President Nixon's inauguration - it was so cold, when it was over,  we all had to check our drivers licenses to assure our gender.

I was also assigned a short time to the 1st US Army DPC F.G.G. Meade, Md.

After a tour in Vietnam, I was assigned to the US Army PC in Ft. Lewis, WA. That was from May 71 to Apr 72.  Then to a supply unit that I don't remember the name of (9th Infantry something maybe), also at Ft. Lewis.  I spent a lot of time hunting alone in the woods there - it took a while to get over Vietnam.   Then (after a lot of night classes at a local college) I was routed thru the Computer Programming school in Ft. Ben Harrison, IN, on my way to a five year tour in Germany  -  Last assignment was as Computer Programmer at the Air Defense Board, Ft. Bliss, El Paso, TX where I retired.


After retiring from the Army in 1979, completed several civilian projects:

- Installed a personnel system for Fluke Manufacturing Co., Seattle, WA.
- Designed and programmed A bibliographic system for NOAA Fisheries for the Treaty of the Seas negotiations.
- Test director on a large scale contract of the Burroughs Corporations Government Division for the US Air Force.
- Various Burroughs civilian projects installing desktop computers and system and application software.

Civil Service working for the US Navy:

- Entered Civil Service with the US Navy 1984 programming supply systems in Jacksonville, Fl.;
- Served as Computer Specialist on various systems for the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Charleston, Jacksonville, FL Office;
- Retired from Civil Service  2002, 18 plus years.

Home   -   Chart